Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Heavy Metal & Hollywood Hell, on canvas.

So if you read any of the major metal news sites, you'll have read about New York artist Tom Sanford and his soon to be auctioned controversial paintings. The one causing the biggest uproar is Sanford's depiction of the 2004 on-stage slaying of Dimebag Darrell Abbott.

So when I first saw it, yeah I was a little shocked. I'd be even more shocked or upset if he had, say a painting of the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash or something but I suppose the relation you have with the subject dictates your feelings.

Regardless, when I saw this Dime painting I thought of a photo I took at a House Of Blues a few years ago. Now this one I was just like "what the fuck?"

However the commotion the Dime painting is causing is also a "WTF."

I think the metal generation has been desensitized to death, no? I understand it's a brutal artist's rendition but it's no gorier than any Cannibal Corpse cover and those we don't even look at twice. It's just accepted.

Accept this too. You don't have to buy it, you don't have to look at it. If you went to the guy's site there's a lot of twisted shit and this is one of many. Slayer and Rob Zombie do the same shit and are celebrated.

This OJ pic is pretty fucked up though, ain't it?