Monday, March 15, 2010

Machine Head destroy London... and my liver too!

So sometime in January I received a message from a good friend telling me, not asking me, but telling me, "unless I had a great excuse as to why not," I was going to London for my birthday. What could I say? It was an unbelievably cool gesture, not to mention a beyond generous gift that a month later I still can't believe I was on the receiving end of.

Next thing I knew it was 2/17 and I was boarding a plane for London. I was going to see my friends Machine Head headline a show in the UK on 2/18 and that was that.

Let the madness begin...Brixton Academy, SOLD OUT.

Robb and Dave with the Silver Award for 'The Blackening', over 60,000 copies sold in the UK. The same album that recently won Metal Hammer's 'Album of the Decade.'

I've seen over 45 Machine Head shows. Including headliners, supports, festivals, one off's...I've seen them in bars, clubs, theaters, sheds and arenas. Seeing them headline in London at Brixton in front of 5,000+ lunatics was surreal. They were all there for one reason and one reason alone. It was one of the greatest gig experiences of my life. From the pre-show meet up with old and new friends, it was nothing short of amazing.


Several times through the show I stopped doing whatever it was I was doing and I just looked around. I let it all soak in, this was such a mental trip to be here and I wanted to make sure it didn't go by too fast.

Brixton as a venue is a very important to the history of MH. They've recorded both of their official live documentations at this very place and as a fan of the band I totally took this into consideration. This is also the site of the last Max Cavalera era Sepultura show ('Under a Pale Grey Sky') as well as live albums by Priest and Motorhead.

The set-list was stacked. I mean all the bases were covered and the highlights were multiple. I know many bands say shit like "we're playing songs we've never played before, or songs we haven't played in X amount of years." We've all heard it and usually those tend to be a let down when they don't appease the fanatic in each of us.

All the touring Machine Head did with Metallica? They definitely learned to not only keep themselves on their toes with "deep cuts" and seldom heard songs, but also the die-hards. Those who attend multiple shows of which there were plenty here tonight.



2.18.10 Brixton Academy

Clenching The Fists of Dissent

Imperium

Take My Scars

Bite The Bullet

Beautiful Mourning

Now I Lay Thee Down

All Falls Down – 1st time ever played

Aesthetics of Hate

Old

The Burning Red

Exhale The Vile

Bulldozer

Block

Halo

Davidian

After the Brixton show we went to the World Famous Crobar. A place Dave Grohl is quoted as saying he always remembers going in, but never remembers leaving...I can see why. Here in Chicago we have sports bars or martini bars or whatever the fuck else people make up to attract a crowd. The Crobar? It's purpose is clear and concise...you go in, you drink, you rock, you get fucking HAMMERED! That's it.

Walking in there for the first time is somewhat blurry now, but I do remember Saxon's "Denim and Leather" just BLASTING and knowing this was it, I was "home!"
At some point the bar was cleared and we were the only occupants, it was a killer way to end such a historic night.

The League of Nations Represent! (l-r)Ugly American with an even uglier hat, Ireland, United Kingdom and Norway. I don't remember that hat or this picture, but all these guys are like family and the vibe? Totally captured!

The above and below tell the story better than I. The above is leaving Crobar at 6:15 am Dave Grohl was right, don't remember a fucking thing!! Below is Big Ben as I saw it waiting for the elevator in my hotel. 6:45 am, no more thrash, time to crash!

A few more shots...



On Friday night we went to see Fear Factory @ the Electric Ballroom in Camden.

I'm not a huge fan of the band, but cannot deny they were excellent. Actually the show was cool as fuck, I got to watch Gene Hoglan jam for an hour and a half! Just fucking SICK!!!! Gene simply stated, put on a drum clinic and I couldn't stop watching the man work.


(watch his left hand...)
Hung out at the gig for a bit afterward and then it was off to a pub called the Big Red. Now we were only going to go for "a few drinks, maybe an hour."

Longest...

Hour...

EVER!

This evening was above and beyond anything you could have ever planned. Use whatever word you'd normally use and multiply it by 10! The Big Red was another place I instantly felt at home in. From the "Americana" vibe of the Chuck Norris and Harley Davidson posters to the GODLY Nacho's...trust me, this place rules!

In the above photo to the right is a guy named Paul Brannigan. He is the former Editor of Kerrang! Magazine and let me tell you this...I just went uber-geek on the guy as we talked shop about every-fucking-thing under the sun as it pertains to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING.
From bands we enjoy to gigs we've seen to dates and albums and people. He is a fucking great guy and he made this fanzine editor from Chicago's world by going toe-to-toe practically the entire evening.

Birmingham, UK 2-21-10

Hanging with old friends and new in Birmingham. Adam attempting a "hang loose" move with his foot which I, obviously found hilarious. The show was probably at least 3,000 people and just as vicious as the London gig. In fact, this was more the size venue I was used to seeing the band in after the grandness and enormity of Brixton.

Both shows had that undeniable vibe the band brings with them, so it was another really electrifying performance. Deep cut "A Nation on Fire" from their 94 debut was an instant highlight as was "Seasons Wither" from their "Through The Ashes of Empires."







2.21.10 - O2 Academy Birmingham

Clenching The Fists of Dissent

Imperium

Struck A Nerve

A Nation on Fire

Ten Ton Hammer

Now I Lay Thee Down

Beautiful Mourning

Aesthetics of Hate

Old

The Burning Red

Seasons Wither

Bulldozer

Block

Halo

Davidian








So in closing, it was a trip of a lifetime. It was a great way to ring in my 39th year on this planet as every single detail couldn't have been executed any better than it was. I got to spend it with good friends/extended family, see and hear some great music, meet amazing new people and had a fucking blast the entire time.

In the immortal words of the friend that made it all happen...

"CHEERS FUCKERS!!!"