Monday, July 13, 2009

Chicago curtain call for the Major Rager...

23 years ago today Metallica played their last Chicago area show with Cliff Burton. There's a bootleg of the show out there, I still have it on cassette (TDK yo!) so if anyone knows where to find a digital copy, pass it on, huh?

07.13.86
- Ecstacy of Gold
- Battery
- Master of Puppets
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
- The Thing That Should Not Be
- Seek and Destroy
- Creeping Death
- Fade to Black
- Damage Inc.

So yeah, 23 years...amazing.

What I remember:


Admittedly being a little bummed there were no "crosses" on stage, I was 15 and that shit was cool! Drinking before I went in, buying the black "Damage Inc." shirt (to go along with the white one I bought at the U.I.C. earlier in the year, just how many fans they'd gotten since the February release of 'Master of Puppets', freaks flipping when they launched into "Battery!", how godly they were, "The Thing That Should Not Be" and Cliff smiling from ear to ear at the end of the show, which was the only time he stopped headbanging! They fucking CONQUERED!