Friday, May 15, 2009

It was 20 years ago today....

When I started this blog I tried to trick myself into thinking I'd really "open" up. After all the point of this blog is, well, me. My music, my magazines, my photos, my thoughts, praises and destructive criticism. The None But My Own thing is my tastes, no matter what they may be. Once I shut the doors on Midwest Metal I wanted to just let it fly without having to write within the parameters of what (I felt) readers expected.

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret, I'm not about me.

I suppose in some way I am, but I also believe everyone is, and that makes me feel much better. So I haven't written in a while and I found this photo while going through the archives.

Spring 1989
Nothing better to do on a Friday night when you're in a band then go hang out in the cemetery, right? But this was just good fucking times, man. Had some good ones for sure. I ended up getting the Spanish Archer [El Bow] from the band later that same year. Admittedly, I was crushed. Years later the two guys I'm with went on to form one of Chicago's finest Metal bands ever.

I'm a believer that everything happens for a reason. One chapter closed and another was about to be opened. Did I ever think twenty years later it was the best thing that ever happened to me? A month after that all happened I began dating the girl I'm still with....20 years later.

Had I not gotten the boot, there's no way I'd have the life I have today. The cosmic alignment that allowed me to connect with my soul mate would've been either passed by or totally missed.

Here's me and the same guys back in 2000. Manchester, ENG. on the UK leg of their tour with Cradle of Filth.
Time is a funny motherfucker, ain't it?